Sunday 1 July 2018

My teabag art for the day is a Painting of The Statue of Liberty in NYC


My teabag art for the day.  The Statue of Liberty.  I am ashamed to say that I lived on the East Coast for most of my adult life and never made it to NYC.  It wasn't until one of my trips back to the US from Australia that I was able to see this beautiful, quirky, one of a kind city and loved it.  I will also admit that when we were on the ferry getting closer and closer to the Statue, I got all choked up and had tears in my eyes because I was finally getting to see this beautiful Iconic Lady which is an icon of freedom and of the United States, and was a welcoming sight to immigrants arriving from abroad.

The statue is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York City in the United States.  The copper statue, a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States, was designed by French sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi and built by Gustave Eiffel.  The statue was dedicated on October 28, 1886.

This painting was done on an unused teabag and primed with clear gesso because I wanted the background to appear clear with just the statue shining through.  It was painted with watercolor and gouache and I added some gold leaf to the torch and various spots on the background.  Details addes with a black permanent ink pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment