Tuesday, 3 April 2018

Mixed Media Canvas Fanny Pack

I had an old fanny pack just gathering dust - I think it was probably 20 years ago that I might have bought this.  Back when I was doing tole painting.  I decided to do something with it.  I had drawn and painted some faces following Jane Davenport's Beautiful Faces Book in my journal.

I decided that I wanted to do a mixed media piece with it so this is what I ended up doing.  I traced the paintings of the "ladies", scanned them and then reduced their size.  I then traced them onto Muslin and went to my sewing machine to sew in all of the details.

Here I show what they looked like and then I applied watercolor paints to give them life!

I then trimmed around each one and placed them between two sheets of baking paper and heat set them.

This is what all three looked like after heat setting:

This is the canvas fanny pack that I had.  It was not pre-primed so I primed it with gesso, added some Liquitex modeling paste through a stencil that I have from Decoart Americana ASMM39-K Short Circuit stencil and added some Indigo and some green watercolor for the background.  I also added some Ranger Jet Black archival ink through my mini "Art Is" stencil from Crafter's workshop.  There are some touches of Mango oxide inks from Tim Holtz as well.  I thought these colors would compliment my ladies!

 I then decided I needed a pop of black so I stitched on some black twine. 
 After I had added the black twine, I decided I need to add some beading and I wanted vines/leaves and flowers so I found a video on youtube showing how to make these flowers and this long winding leafy vine here by Jill Wiseman called Ramblin' Roses and I thought it was stunning so decided to give it a try - here is an image of the vine so far:    
Once the length of the vine was established and I had an idea of the placement on the bag, I decided to finish the vine and add the leaves.  Once I had completed the vine and roses, I layed them on my bag with the Ladies and took a photo so that I could remember the placement when I stitched everything on.  Here is an image of the placement I decided on:

After I was happy with the placement, I lightly traced around the ladies and took everything off.  I put fabric glue on the back of the muslin keeping away from the edges because I knew I would be reinforcing them with stitching.  Then I added some organza and netting bits behind each image, stitched on the vines and flowers and tacked down the images around the edges.  

These are images of the finished design:

Thank you so much for taking a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment